Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The purpose of this Regional Medical Director position is to provide leadership and management to current and future hospitals within Petco owned full-service hospitals, its medical leaders and veterinarians within assigned region. The Regional Medical Director is responsible for representing the mission and values while creating a positive culture, hiring and development of staff, driving hospital growth and delivering performance objectives. Additionally, through the guidance of Petco Medical SOPs, they will ensure our hospitals practice a high standard of quality medicine and provide excellent patient care and client service.
The Regional Medical Director, like all Veterinary Hospital team members, is responsible for performing their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
• the patient’s needs always come first;
• every team member understands that they have the power to do what it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient experience;
• contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when possible, or as soon as is possible;
• exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the entire organization.
Essential Job Functions:
Listed are the essential duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. This section includes the primary accountabilities or duties of the job. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Manage and provide leadership to hospital medical leaders and associate veterinarians, as well as any relief doctors who provide doctor services
• Ensure all owned hospitals uphold all Petco standards, mission and values, and with direction from the Petco Veterinary Hospital SOPs, set the medical standard of the practices
• Review electronic medical records of direct reports regarding patient decisions and provide feedback and direction to veterinarians as a means to elevate patient care in our hospital
• Ensure hospitals are maintaining a positive work environment that fosters efficiency, profitability, and partner retention
• Act as the primary medical point of contact for all regional hospitals within the owned brand full-service hospitals and ensure compliance with hospital policies and procedures and with local, state, and federal laws
• In partnership with the Petco Talent Acquisition team, assist in the recruitment, interview, hiring, and onboarding process
• Support creation and maintenance of doctor’s schedule with each hospitals Lead Veterinary Technician as needed
• In partnership with the Area Operation Manager, manage the performance of the hospitals while meeting budget expectations
• Practice high quality medicine on an as-needed/relief basis and maintain CE requirements
• Travel between regional hospital locations with up to 30% of overnight travel
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs additional duties as assigned
2. Disseminate knowledge throughout staff in order to improve the level of care provided by all, to both the patient and the client
Nature of Supervision:
In all activities related to the care of individual patients, the incumbent will take direct supervision from the Veterinary Services Leadership.
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth of productive practices while ensuring a high-quality standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this position in critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive, well-trained, and motivated team. The desired end result is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures a high quality of care, excellent patient/client experience, and employee retention.
The Regional Medical Director directly supervises all medical leadership and veterinarians within assigned regional hospitals.
Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. A portion of this partner’s time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
This position will regularly communicate with clients, veterinary specialists, and companies that provide products and/or services that the practice utilizes.