Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The purpose of this patient-focused Exotic Veterinarian position inherently involves providing excellent veterinary care to our Vetco Total Care full-service hospital patients and phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Exotic Veterinarian represents the mission and values to all clients. Our Exotic Veterinarian sets the tone within the technical and customer support staff in the hospital, and is responsible, like all team members, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team.
Essential Job Functions: List the essential duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. This section includes the primary accountabilities or duties of the job. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Provide excellent patient care by performing physical examinations, diagnosing and treating diseases, and providing preventive care according to patient lifestyle and location on dog, cat and exotic animal patients.
- Utilize a problem-based approach that includes developing a complete problem list for every patient examined, a list of differential diagnoses for each problem identified, a complete diagnostic plan, and appropriate treatments based on interpretation of diagnostic test results leading to confirmed or suspected diagnoses.
- Document all patient observations, findings of exams and diagnostics, treatments and medications, client interactions, and tentative and confirmed diagnoses in the medical record in a concise and detail fashion, according to practice convention.
- Perform routine and complex surgical procedures including (but not limited) spays/neuters, abdominal exploratory, and mass removals.
- Perform routine and complex dental procedures including full dental examination, evaluation of dental radiographs, as well as simple and complex extractions and oral surgical procedures.
- Develop treatment plans for patients undergoing day hospitalization based on complete problem-based assessment. Transition patients to overnight care as needed and communicate effectively with referral hospitals in order to ensure excellent continuous patient care.
All hospital staff are responsible for performing their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
• the patient’s needs always come first;
• every team member understands that they have the power to do what it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient experience;
• contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when possible, or as soon as is possible;
• exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the entire organization.
Nature of Supervision
In all activities related to the care of individual patients, the incumbent will take direct supervision from the Regional/Area Medical Director. The Exotic Veterinarian has discretion related to decisions regarding patient care, however it is imperative that the Veterinarian uphold the standards set forth in the Petco Medical SOPs. The Exotic Veterinarian should expect to receive direction and guidance based on electronic medical record review from the Regional/Area Medical Director regarding patient decisions as a means to elevate patient care in our hospital.
All hospital veterinarians should work together in a collegial fashion and are expected to behave in a professional and personable manner.
Planning and Problem Solving
Problem solving is at the heart of veterinary medicine, and it is expected that any successful candidate will possess excellent problem-solving skills that allow expeditious diagnosis of patient problems.
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this position in critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive, well-trained, and motivated team. The desired end result is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures employee retention, patient well-being, and customer satisfaction.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, however, as stated above the Veterinarian is a de facto leader in the hospital.
The majority of job duties are conducted in the Vetco Total Care owned full-service veterinary hospital. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. A large amount of this partner’s time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.