Because we’re dedicated to constant forward motion, we welcome the fresh thinking and new perspective that recent college grads bring to our business. In return, we offer rich and dynamic learning experiences—plus some pretty great benefits. By doing meaningful, complex work at Petco, you can gain a realistic job preview and valuable insight into our culture.
DEVELOP NEW SKILLS THROUGH OUR STORE LEADER IN TRAINING PROGRAM
Our unique Store Leader in Training Program allows you to gain experience in lots of different job areas within our retail stores. You’ll learn from experienced leaders and have a dedicated mentor who will guide you as you rotate through various positions to learn the operational skills you’ll need to run your own store efficiently. Here’s what we’re looking for in candidates for this special program:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Passion for retail management and the retail industry
- Strong leadership and coaching skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
In this dynamic role, every day will be a little bit different. You’ll rotate through the following job areas:
- Act as a personal shopper/information center for customers as they enter the store and be 100% focused on customer service.
- Provide quick and courteous service to all Petco customers and their pets by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge to suggest the appropriate merchandise and services.
Merchandise Operation Leader
- Ensure 100% pricing accuracy, including verifying that all pricing labels are up and reflect the correct price and offer date.
- Facilitate the unloading and stocking of merchandise according to operational guidelines and OSE standards.
- Ensure that the store is well stocked and inventory counts are accurate.
Companion Animal Leader
- Ensure that the health, proper handling, and welfare of all animals are met according to P&Ps, including completion of hourly animal checklist and wellness cards. Follow Vet Protocol for all sick animals.
- Directly supervise the Aquatics Specialist(s), as well as lead and coach all store Partners in providing great guest service and in performing their assigned tasks with the goal of achieving budgeted sales.
Guest Experience Leader
- Use Petco Promoter and Grooming Promoter to measure customer feedback, celebrate, and coach.
- Train all store partners in how to promote and support our Pet Services guest experience through GUEST+ model engagement.
- Use sales, payroll, margin, pet services P&L, adoption, and e-commerce reports to monitor the performance of each business, and develop plans to correct any area missing their target.
- Responsible for creating, coaching, developing, and retaining a high-performance team.
- Verifies that all companion animals are cared for correctly, in accordance with Petco standards and policies.
- Ensures that the training, communication, and maintenance of Petco initiatives are executed and that our customer-first programs are always followed.
INTERNSHIP WHERE YOU CAN REALLY SPREAD YOUR WINGS
We’re seeking energetic, motivated people who can offer new and creative ideas in the development and/or implementation of a business project in their area of study. The 10-week Petco Internship Program is offered at our headquarters in San Diego, CA, or San Antonio, TX. In this role, you’ll work 40 hours/week, Monday–Friday, and you might be asked to travel to various store sites, distribution centers, or other corporate locations.
At the beginning of the internship, you will be assigned a project that is relevant to your field of study to work on during your tenure with us. You will be asked to deliver a presentation at the conclusion of the internship to peers and business leaders summarizing your work at Petco.
While you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience, you’ll also get a taste of our corporate culture through:
- Team meetings
- Company town halls
- Petco public events
- Off-site store or field visits, as needed
- Networking with other professionals in your chosen field
- Job shadowing for cross-functional training across the company
In this dynamic role, every day will be a little bit different. You’ll rotate through the following job areas:
interesting facts about Petco internships
- You’ll take on a project related to your field of study and will deliver a capstone presentation at the end of your internship to peers and business leaders.
- You’ll work with a dedicated mentor from the same department who will provide you with regular guidance and feedback.
our minimum qualifications
- GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program with an anticipated graduation date between December 2018 and December 2019
- Ability to relocate to your designated work location for the duration of the internship
skills we seek in our interns
- Planning and Execution: Asks questions to clarify assignments and priorities. Deals with high-priority work activities first. Makes sure work is done correctly. Surfaces problems and issues with speed and accuracy.
- Drive for Results: Takes personal responsibility to take action. Puts extra effort and work to accomplish important results. Sets high standards for his/her own performance. Finishes assignments and tasks in a timely manner.
- Process Improvement: Suggests process and practice improvement ideas. Accurately reports process improvement data. Carefully monitors the accuracy and quality of outputs, products and services. Makes suggestions to address problems and process breakdowns.
- Communication: Listens carefully to others. Communicates clearly and concisely. Provides appropriate level of detail in communications. Writes with accuracy, simplicity and completeness. Keeps others informed.
- Build Collaborative Relationships: Relates to others in an accepting and respectful way, regardless of their personality or background. Builds relationships by identifying and discussing common interests and priorities. Remains positive and respectful, even in difficult situations. Involves others as appropriate when issues affect them.
what you’ll love about being a Petco intern
In addition to the valuable experience you’ll gain through the internship, we foster a casual work environment where people are encouraged to bring their pets to work. Other perks include:
- Partner Discounts
- On-site fitness center (San Diego location also features a yoga studio, basketball court, walking trail, Petco Café, and Starbucks)
- Partner appreciation events
is there an internship in my area of study?
Our internship opportunities vary each year, depending on business need. Please visit the job search page on this site to search for available internships in your area of interest. Majors may include (but are not limited to) the following areas of study:
- Product Development/Design
- Information Technology/Computer Science
- Supply Chain
- Events Management
- Loss Prevention
how long does the internship last, and what are the start and end dates?
Our internships are 10 weeks long and take place during the summer. The start and end dates vary every year due to school calendars, but they typically begin after Memorial Day.
how do I qualify for an internship?
Currently, we are accepting Bachelor’s level students who:
- Are juniors or seniors in college (have completed 60+ hours)
- Have a GPA of 3.2 or above in an applicable field of study.
- Are available to participate in the entire 10 week program
- Are authorized to work in the US with no restrictions
is this a paid internship?
Yes! Our interns are nonexempt, hourly partners and are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Pay will be discussed during the interview process and presented via a formal offer letter.
is this a full-time or part-time internship?
The Petco College Internship program is a fulltime schedule of 35–40 hours a week.
will I receive college credit after successfully completing the internship?
If you require college credit for your internship, our Human Resources department is willing to complete the documentation required. Because each school program varies, it’s important to identify prior to applying whether our internship will meet your school credit requirements.
how can I find current internship job openings?
All intern jobs are posted on our career site. Please visit the job search page on this site to search for available intern openings in your area of interest.
what information do I need to apply?
All interns must complete an application online via this website. You can get started by visiting the job search page and searching for internships. As part of the application process, you’ll also need to upload a resume to attach to your application.
I have submitted my application; what’s next?
It could take a couple of weeks for our managers to review all applicant submissions, conduct phone screenings, and select candidates. You can verify the status of your application by logging into this career site and clicking the My Job Page tab of your account. Each position you have applied to is listed along with the current status of your application. If you are selected to move forward in the recruiting process, we’ll contact you to schedule an interview.
when and where will interviews take place?
In-person interviews are conducted a few weeks prior to the internship start date and most will be held on-site at Petco. For out of town candidates, we may be able to arrange a phone or Skype interview.
what is the dress code at Petco?
Petco has a casual dress code year-round (yes, we mean jeans!)
am I eligible for paid vacation or sick time?
You will not be eligible for paid vacation or sick time during your internship.
what is it like to work at Petco?
Our culture is friendly, outgoing, and collaborative. We obsess about delivering health and happy experiences for pets and the people who love them. So we welcome new and improved thinking, and we value people who have a real passion for both pets and pet parents. The values that define us are: teamwork, a customer-first focus, an unwavering commitment to doing what’s right for pets, and a forward-thinking mindset. If this sounds like you, you could make a great Petco Partner.
can I bring my pet to work?
Absolutely! This is just one of the many perks of working at Petco’s corporate offices in San Diego and San Antonio. We take our pets everywhere! So don’t be surprised to see pets listening attentively as their pet parent presents during a team meeting. You’ll also have the opportunity to play with your pet and socialize with other Partners in our indoor dog run and outdoor play area.
what other benefits/perks will I get?
Petco offers the following perks during your internship:
- Casual dress code
- Petco employee discount
- Free on-site fitness center
- Bring your pet to work!
- Discounted tickets to movie theaters and local theme parks
will Petco pay for housing or accommodations during my internship?
While housing is not provided as part of the compensation, we typically recruit from local schools and universities to reduce this cost for interns who participate in our internship program.
will I be required to travel during my internship?
You may be invited to travel to other Petco locations as a part of your intern experience. If so, Petco will cover your airfare, travel, and food, and we’ll give you as much advance notice as possible.
will I continue to work at Petco once my internship is complete?
We cannot guarantee your employment after completion of the internship; however, we encourage you to keep in touch with your hiring manager and intern mentor to ensure that you stay up to date on the latest opportunities that might be a fit for your experience.